[ExI] gre

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri May 31 13:45:15 UTC 2019

If you think about it, both the GRE and GPA are restricted range
variables.  Who makes below a B in grad school?  Don't know about
engineering school, though.

My own GRE scores were interesting:  an 89 on verbal was a shock. I
expected far higher.  I had been in honors 101, had a degree in English,
etc.  The math part was also a shock.  I had had only algebra in college
and made a 97.  I was bragging about it to my bridge partner when he
grinned and said he made a 99, which, as you know (?), is a lot better than
a 97.  He was a math major.

I had a student from Japan, where once you declare a major you can't change
it.  He was a police officer.  So how he came to a little college in
Alabama I dunno.  In his early 30s I think.  Best student any of us had
ever had.  Went on to get a Ph. D. in child psych.  Unfortunately, he said,
he would never be accepted to teach at Tokyo University or any other big
time school there because of where he got his degree.  U of Alabama.

But the story:  with Japanese as his first language, and as difficult as
English is to learn, he made a score in the 50s on the verbal GRE.  The
most impressive intellectual performance I have witnessed.

bill w