[ExI] languages

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 08:01:50 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019, 13:04 William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> I think that the time has come where an educated person in any field has
> no use for any foreign language.  How could we possibly compete with
> professional people whose job it is to translate for us?  We are going to
> learn enough Greek to enjoy the Iliad in the original?  Why?

Travel!  Interpersonal communication!

The way to someone's heart is through their language.  The world is locked,
and the keys are language.

No matter how good a translator is, they can't make a deal for you as well
as you could if you spoke the language.  Some people might be swayed to
work together because YOU have spent time mastering their language,
translator be damned.  There is no substitute for the genuine cultural
curiousity displayed by one who learns a language, and native speakers
respect this.