[ExI] I hate them

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Nov 9 03:59:09 UTC 2019

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat

Subject: [ExI] I hate them

I just skimmed through this hack job of an article:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/614690/polygenic-score-ivf-embryo-dna-tests-genomic-prediction-gattaca/

Rafal, I am surprised China isn’t going after this tech like a pack of wolves after a flock of chickens.  Perhaps they are.  They have a billion people there who know they need to pay attention to reproduction, and many of them have only one shot at it.  They could probably pressure enough people into taking DNA tests to get a good solid database going, then use that to prevent the known biggie diseases at least.

The Chinese don’t seem to have a lot of heartburn about creating dozens of embryos and choosing one.  In our world one can even argue that they aren’t killing anything: the remaining embryos can be frozen and stored cheaply indefinitely.