[ExI] Captain Obvious strikes again?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Nov 9 15:48:45 UTC 2019

On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
ubject: Re: [ExI] Captain Obvious strikes again?

By obvious do you mean the 3 to 1 ratio of boys to girls at the very high level of math achievement?  That and the rather large ratio of men to women in STEM occupations suggests to me that male hormones have something to do with it.  At 8 years of age hormones are not that different.

bill w

I am a volunteer coach for the geek stuff: STEM Fair, Science Olympiad and American Mathematics Competition.  I am seeing a persistent signal: in 7th grade the gender ratio is about equal.  8th grade, more boys.  High school, mostly boys, ratio tending toward ¾.  The serious STEM competitors: nearly all male.

For reasons I don’t understand (but you might get, BillW, being trained in the discipline) about the time the hormones hit with fury, the girls trend to other matters besides science and math.