[ExI] Humans are a uniquely dangerous species

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 16:54:04 UTC 2019

Were other humans the first victims of the sixth mass extinction?
November 21, 2019

<https://theconversation.com/were-other-humans-the-first-victims-of-the-sixth-mass-extinction-126638>

Quotes:
Nine human species walked the Earth 300,000 years ago. Now there is
just one. The Neanderthals, Homo neanderthalensis, were stocky hunters
adapted to Europe’s cold steppes. The related Denisovans inhabited
Asia, while the more primitive Homo erectus lived in Indonesia, and
Homo rhodesiensis in central Africa.

Several short, small-brained species survived alongside them: Homo
naledi in South Africa, Homo luzonensis in the Philippines, Homo
floresiensis (“hobbits”) in Indonesia, and the mysterious Red Deer
Cave People in China. Given how quickly we’re discovering new species,
more are likely waiting to be found.

By 10,000 years ago, they were all gone.
----
Today we look up at the stars and wonder if we’re alone in the
universe. In fantasy and science fiction, we wonder what it might be
like to meet other intelligent species, like us, but not us. It’s
profoundly sad to think that we once did, and now, because of it,
they’re gone.