[ExI] Rapamycin-like drug for anti-aging?

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 14:54:59 UTC 2019

Well, that cuts to the heart of the challenge.  I haven't really found any
easily available way to monitor efficacy.  I do have baseline basic blood
work including fasting insulin levels, and after running it again
approximately 6 months out, my fasting insulin is way better (caveat that I
also started out heavy, and have been losing weight so there may be
confounding variables).

One side effect I would mention that I do believe is coming from the
rapamycin is that my overall white blood cell count did drop significantly
compared to baseline after 6 months out.  It is still within the normal
reference range so I am not concerned (or surprised), but it's hard to tell
if there are other offsetting positive effects on subtypes of immune
related cells with the blunt testing tools I have available.

Further complicating testing beyond standard panels is that I have to pay
for all of it myself since none of this is covered by insurance.

I do wish I had run some kind of baseline methylation (Horvath) testing
when I started.  I am still planning on getting this done at some point but
haven't yet.

If I figure out any way to monitor results more meaningfully, I'll
definitely share here if anyone is interested.

At the end of the day, building a potential longevity/healthspan stack
involves a leap of faith to some extent unfortunately.  I have reviewed a
great deal of the literature on mTOR, metformin, and rapamycin, and
personally see enough evidence of a potential life extension mechanism to
extrapolate and take the plunge.  YMMV of course.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 10:10 AM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <