[ExI] Update on the Hawaiian observatory shutdown

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 11:41:49 UTC 2019

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 12:29 AM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <

> * > All I am saying that the astronomers should not give up.*

I disagree. I hate to say this but the astronomers are never going to win
this fight. Now that protestors are organizing to stop astronomers from
moving to La Palma in the Canary islands, the (distant) second best
observing site in the northern hemisphere, I think it's time for
astronomers to face reality and make the painful decision to abandon half
the universe and build the magnificent telescope at Dome C in Antarctica or
in the Atacama Desert of Peru in the southern hemisphere where people are
more civilized than in the north. The wonders that exist in deep space in
the northern half of the universe, as well as near earth asteroids and
comets, will have to wait for future generations to find, generations that
are more enlightened.

 John K Clark