[ExI] it's your choice

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Apr 4 03:31:59 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of Keith Henson via extropy-chat

Subject: [ExI] it's your choice

< <mailto:spike at rainier66.com> spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

I do take the notion lightly, for I am watching a time when the concept of
race is being stretched beyond recognition.  It used to be pretty simple.
But now, it really isn't.

For instance...

We have a system for rating local schools.  It uses test scores, social
factors, all the usual stuff, but it takes into account race.  A two schools
with all the same numbers in every category can raise its rating by claiming
more racial minorities in its demographics.  It wasn't that big of a deal
really until Mr. Musk set up his car factory and imported Indians as fast as
he could get them.  Some Indians have very dark skin.  Naturally, they began
to claim to be black, in order to raise the local school's rating, which
dramatically improves real estate values.  I am not kidding: if Mr.
Srinivasa Subramanian comes in claiming to be black, wellllll... he is that.
Who gets to tell him he is not?

GreatSchools breaks down student performance into six categories.  I took
this from their site:

They don't really know what to do when a Pakistani guy shows up speaking
flawless Spanish and claiming to be Hispanic.  They don't really question
it.  Plenty of Vietnamese are claiming to be part Filipino, and they
identify as that.  So. who gets to tell them no?

Answer: no one does.  In those cases for sure, the school takes their word
for how they identify, and the school's rating goes up, and real estate
values go up.  All ya hafta do is log on to Zillow.com to see some dramatic
results from creative identity.

spike

>.I think you mentioned your mixed-race ancestry was 5 generations back.

I am more Neanderthal (different species!) than you are mixed from that
event. Keith

The Neanderthal business is controversial.  There hasta be a pile of money
to be made off it however.  We could invent a system for excusing much of
male behavior, create kind of a license or something, provide an excuse for
the stuff we boys do: we are part cave man.  That actually sounds quite
appealing: a kind of specialized version of Burning Man, but it is
Neanderthal parties.  We temporarily put away our cell phones, FitBit
watches, sense of propriety, show up in animal skins, eat lotsa red meat,
act on our basest instincts, that sorta thing.