[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Volvo star systems

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Apr 4 09:27:09 UTC 2020

On 04/04/2020 04:32, Stathis wrote:
> imagine that everyone could change mental attributes such as
> personality, motivations, likes and dislikes as easily as we can
> change our clothes. What sort of people would we be?

That's a very good question.

I suspect the kind of people who tend to haunt lists like this one would
mostly answer "better people". Personally, I'd mean it in the sense that
someone who can make those changes is better than someone who can't,
rather than in the sense that they'd inevitably turn themselves into
better people.

I suspect that a large proportion of the general population, though,
would have different answers. Many would answer "worse people", on the
basis that such abilities would be 'unnatural', and therefore bad. Many
would also assume that it could only go horribly wrong, and we can't be
trusted with such abilities.

I suppose the most significant thing, though, would be how many people
would want a ban on such abilities?

--
Ben Zaiboc