[ExI] it's your choice

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Apr 4 13:13:04 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of SR Ballard via extropy-chat
Sent: Friday, April 3, 2020 9:48 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: SR Ballard <sen.otaku at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] it's your choice

>Only if you completely ignore the definition of the word.

>”A race is a grouping of humans based on shared physical or social
qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society."
(Wikipedia)

You literally just ruined your own argument.

A race is ... shared social qualities.

That means literally nothing genetically.

By this definition of race it’s just a type of grouping with no objective genetic basis.

> On Apr 3, 2020, at 9:58 PM, Keith Henson via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>
> Only if you completely ignore the definition of the word.
>
> "A race is a grouping of humans based on shared physical or social
> qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society."
> (Wikipedia)

The above comment suddenly makes sense of a puzzling observation.

We can't change our DNA (yet) but we can choose what culture we embrace.  Certainly we can convert to any religion we want, ja?  We can even become one of the DNA-related religions, such as ultra-orthodox Jew, if we work at it a bit and have enough money.

If race is a shared culture and shared social qualities, and if we wish to embrace the notion that race is not a choice, then we are not completely free to embrace a culture into which we weren't born.

This would explain why society is exploring the puzzling new sin of "cultural appropriation."

Thanks SR!