[ExI] reasonable what ifs

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Apr 8 16:43:47 UTC 2020

Hey here ya go:

U.S. reports 1,264 coronavirus deaths in over 24 hours.

Meanwhile in China, where the pandemic broke out, not a single new coronavirus death was reported.  <https://t.co/ooXkR9X2L5> https://t.co/ooXkR9X2L5

— NBC News (@NBCNews)  <https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1247484280529395712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw> April 7, 2020

If the rest of the world follows the same pattern, this pandemic should just disappear without a trace.

Or China is lying.

I used to talk to my grandparents about what it was like when they were growing up.  They lived in West Virginia coal country, which was perpetually depressed compared to the rest of the country, so they weren’t much impacted by the 1929 crash or the aftermath.  It was interesting to hear my grandfathers’ experiences during those years.  In both cases they considered the 1930s generally better years than the 1920s, and questioned why the earlier decade was considered roaring while the latter the depression.  For them, it was almost the other way around.