[ExI] Will the summer heat help with the virus?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:47:51 UTC 2020

>From the 9 page report of The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering
and Medicine, sent to the White House:

*“Given current data, we believe that the pandemic likely will not diminish
because of summer, and we should be careful not to base policies and
strategies around the hope that it will. We might very well see a reduction
in spread in the beginning of the summer, but we have to be careful not to
put that down to a changing climate — it is plausible that such a reduction
could be due to other measures put in place. Human behavior will be most
important. If a human coughs or sneezes enough virus close enough to the
next susceptible person, then temperature and humidity just won’t matter
that much. Given that countries currently in ‘summer’ climates, such as
Australia and Iran, are experiencing rapid virus spread, a decrease in
cases with increases in humidity and temperature elsewhere should not be
assumed.”*

John K Clark