[ExI] Atheism

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Apr 20 01:44:58 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of Brent Allsop via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Atheism

Hi Stathis,

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 6:39 PM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

Atheist. However, weird conclusions come from the assumption that consciousness is not tied to a biological substrate and can result from computation.

>…Do tell us more…

Agreed.

>…And Great Question, Will, asking everyone about their beliefs in God.

Although, how many times has this question been asked and/or answered on this list, alone?

And how many more times will someone need to ask this?

It'd help amplify they wisdom of the crowd on this topic, and stop all the useless repetition, if everyone would just canonize their views, once and for all, someplace like here <https://canonizer.com/topic/2-God/1> .

Brent

Views change.  Mine have.  I am intrigued by Stathis’ notion that weird conclusions come from the assumption that consciousness is not tied to a bio-substrate.  I can’t think of any reason to believe it has to exist only in that form.  We haven’t seen it in nature, but for 99.9999 percent of the history of life on earth, we didn’t see flight in any substrate other than biological either.