[ExI] This is a Historic Day For World’s Oil Markets

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 20:45:19 UTC 2020

>From what I'm hearing, you are correct.  The negative price (which appears
to have already recovered to over zero, though still quite low) was because
of the cost of storage.  Contracts which were up for physical delivery were
running into a lack of storage space.  (This isn't including that massive
Saudi Arabian tanker fleet apparently due to arrive next month, which is
already full of oil.)  People with lots of spare storage, though not
previously seen worth keeping oil there, have already stepped up - so if
you're thinking of offering your back yard for a few months, sorry, it's
already too late for you to make a buck that way.

Even adjusting for inflation, negative is negative; inflation is only a
multiplier.  If this is the first time it's gone negative, then this was
the lowest price ever.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 1:15 PM Dylan Distasio via extropy-chat <