[ExI] John Conway is dead

Bill Hibbard hibbard at wisc.edu
Wed Apr 22 09:00:31 UTC 2020

In 1971 I programmed a PDP-8 (unwind 49 years of Moore's Law:
with 4K 12-bit words of memory, the PDP-8 could add two 12-bit
integers in 3 microseconds) to run Conway's Game of Life and
display it on a CRT screen. Friends and I would get stoned and
go to the lab to watch it.

In 1992 I saw Conway deliver the keynote speech at the IEEE
Visualization Conference. Keynote speakers usually wear suits,
but Conway wore a t-shirt and gym shorts. There was a moment of
confusion about where to attach the microphone to his clothes.