[ExI] No gods, no meaning?

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 18:23:16 UTC 2020

I agree with Jason. Religion is not going away. It will just evolve into diverse and complex forms. I think that religion and other social institutions are like cultural chromosomes. A collection of memes that mutually reinforce one another and provide a common cultural basis for a given tribe or demographic subculture. What you call "worship" might operate as a memetic greenbeard effect. Similar to Dawkin's greenbeard gene. As such it would be a social display that would be unlikely to be mistaken for "ordinary" behavior. It would serve no rational purpose other than to signal to one another that they belong to the same tribe. Prayer on the other hand might be like the "close door" button in an elevator. It just give someone something to do while they wait for the doors to close or some other desired event, over which they have little control.

Science does not need to get "get together" with religion in order to coexist and evolve side by side with it. Although as a scientist I must say that scientific epiphanies are every bit as spiritually fulfilling as the religious sort. I will never forget the first time I precipitated DNA out of solution and a mass long white threads seemed to appear out of nowhere or the rush I felt when I first understood orbital mechanics. Those experiences were far more moving for me than getting baptized. Perhaps as I scientist, I can be said to worship truth by approximation.

Stuart LaForge