[ExI] Atheism again

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Apr 26 13:46:47 UTC 2020

On 25/04/2020 06:45, Jason Resch wrote:
> I'm curious what you make of the Mormon Transhumanist Association:
> https://transfigurism.org/

Sorry, I seem to have missed a couple of digests. My spam filter is a
bit slow to learn!

The MTA suffers from confusion, in my opinion.

The very first thing you see on their website is this:

"As disciples of Jesus Christ, we believe in using technology to serve,
lift, and love."

So, they're disciples of a character that, as far as anyone knows, is a
mythological composite, rather like Robin Hood or King Arthur, they hold
a belief (presumably in the 'blind faith' sense), and they see their
goals as to 'serve, lift, and love'. Who or what they intend to serve
and love, is not stated here, I suspect it's not the human race.

Further down:

"We believe that scientific knowledge and technological power are among
the means ordained of God ..."

This is clearly a religion. They call themselves transhumanists, but
they take as a given the existence of a supernatural deity, and then
assume the role of willing slaves to it. One of the principles of
transhumanism is autonomy. That seems to be missing here. Another is
rationality. Ditto.

It looks to me that they are a religion that has selected, adopted and
adapted some of the principles of transhumanism, leaving behind what are
arguably the most significant ones, and take that as justification for
calling themselves 'transhumanist'. This is a bit like a meat-eater who
adds salad to their diet and starts calling themselves a vegetarian.

--
Ben Zaiboc