[ExI] Stephen Wolfram proposes new framework for fundamental physics

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 01:22:29 UTC 2020

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 at 5:57 pm, Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat <

> More thoughts:
>
> Wolfram’s digital physics is fully deterministic, which seems to
> exclude free will. But there is computational irreducibility...
>

> https://turingchurch.net/computational-irreducibility-in-wolframs-digital-physics-and-free-will-e413e496eb0a

You assume that free will and determinism are incompatible, but that is not
the view of the majority of philosophers or the majority of laypeople. It
seems to be mainly amateur philosophers (which includes scientists) who
assume incompatibility.

<https://turingchurch.net/computational-irreducibility-in-wolframs-digital-physics-and-free-will-e413e496eb0a>
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 7:21 AM Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I tried to post this a couple of days ago, but there was an error.
> Retrying.
> >
> > From the FAQ:
> >
> > Q: What does your model say about the simulation argument?
> >
> > A: The model implies that there is a definite computational rule that
> > determines every aspect of what happens in our universe. If the
> > universe is to be considered a “simulation” this would suggest that
> > the rule is being determined by something outside the system, and
> > presumably in an “intentional” way. It is difficult enough to extend
> > the notion of intentionality far beyond the specifics of what humans
> > do, making it unrealistic to attribute it to something beyond even the
> > universe. In addition, the concept of rule-space relativity implies
> > that in a sense all possible rules are equivalent, at least to an
> > appropriate observer, and therefore there would be nothing for an
> > entity setting up the simulation to “intentionally decide”—since any
> > rule they could choose would appear to be the same universe to
> > observers embedded within it.
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 9:20 PM spike jones via extropy-chat
> > <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> > >

> > > From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf
> Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
> > > Subject: Re: [ExI] Stephen Wolfram proposes new framework for
> fundamental physics
> > >

> https://turingchurch.net/stephen-wolfram-proposes-new-framework-for-fundamental-physics-629833845470

> > > The thing to worry about is if he discovers this is all a digital
> simulation.  If you really ponder Church-Turing, it doesn’t seem too
> far-fetched.  But hey, perhaps it is a good thing.
> > >

> > > spike

Stathis Papaioannou