[ExI] Meaning in life (Was: Who has a vote that counts?)

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Sun Aug 2 16:35:41 UTC 2020

giulio:
 > If truth means unhappiness, then screw truth.

bill w:
 > How can you call yourself a scientist?

Somehow this reminds me of a couple of conversations.

Me: "I once had a book of science humor, about which the remarkable
thing was--"

Dad: "It wasn't funny?"

Me: "On the contrary.  It was stuff that scientists would find funny,
rather than stories *about* scientists that a journalist found funny.
Now maybe I have no right to say that, as I'm not a scientist."

Dad (a scientist) made some inarticulate protest.

Me: "Well, we can say I'm culturally a scientist."

And:

Me: "I don't call myself a mathematician because I've never proven an
original theorem."

Other: "That's how I know you're a real mathematician."

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org