[ExI] Meaning in life

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Aug 2 21:49:01 UTC 2020

On 02/08/2020 15:57, Giulio Prisco wrote:
> Good point John. These two ideas need not necessarily be connected.
> But they usually are. How many atheists are open to the idea of
> afterlife/resurrection (natural or technological)?
>
> On 2020. Aug 2., Sun at 16:31, John Clark via extropy-chat
> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
> <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 5:28 AM Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat
>     <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
>     <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>> wrote:
>
>         /> Well, I’m sure many atheists are very good and moral people
>         who find meaning in life, but I also think they are sad.
>         Thinking that I’ll never see my loved departed ones would make
>         me extremely sad, /
>

>     Why do so many people just assume that the existence of an
>     omnipotent omniscient being who created the universe must imply
>     that humans have a eternal life after death, but the non-existence
>     of such a being means they have no chance of such a thing? Seems
>     to me the existence of God and human immortality are two
>     independent ideas that need not be connected, and I see no
>     particular reason why they would be.
>
>     John K Clark

Again, how is this relevant?

You might as well ask how many atheists are open to putting peanut
butter in a cheese sandwich, or how many atheists are open to the idea
of snowboarding in the nude.

I don't know what 'natural afterlife/resurrection' means. The whole
point of pursuing a technological solution is that we know it doesn't
just happen by itself.

--
Ben Zaiboc