[ExI] next county

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 16:07:33 UTC 2020

On Aug 3, 2020, at 10:07 PM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> Ja sure would.  If the mortality rate for covid really is about half a
> percent, then covid isn't all that different from other flu epidemics.  Then
> the whole shutdown notion was a huge epic failure, with enormous cost and
> consequences.  If we decide we are going to shut down the economy for every
> flu epidemic, many businesses are not feasible and many investments are no
> longer profitable.
>
> There's more to it.  If the covid mortality rate is similar to other strains
> of flu, we have been mass manipulated and deceived.  The level of societal
> destruction directly or indirectly responsible for the induced hysteria is
> difficult to estimate.
>
> If the mortality rate really is about 3%, everything humanity did in
> response makes sense.  If it is half a percent, nothing this species did
> makes sense.

What about policy choice under uncertainty? Real world choices almost always are made where one doesn’t have accurate data. So post hoc corrections can’t really mean choices made were senseless. And when there’s contradictory data, then there might several conflicting yet sensible choices, no?

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst