[ExI] next county

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 04:35:01 UTC 2020

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 at 13:59, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> > *On Behalf Of *Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] next county
>

> On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 at 06:59, spike jones via extropy-chat <
>
>  >…It really is a crisis only.
>

> >…The crisis is because there is a deadly disease around, making people
> reluctant to go about their normal activities. If the government ORDERED
> businesses to stay open under these circumstances there would still be an
> economic crisis…
>

> Stathis, I don’t know how it works in Australia, but in the states, there
> is no level of government, federal, state, county, city or neighborhood
> association, which has the authority to order businesses to stay open.

Yes, but the point I was making is that EVEN IF it were in the government’s
power to order everyone back to life as usual it would not have the desired
effect if there was a real problem. If the problem were less serious than
has been stated, it would quickly become obvious that the countries where
there were no restrictions were doing better, and everyone would follow.
After all, the immediate reaction of almost everyone on first learning of
the virus, from the officials in Wuhan to Donald Trump, was to ignore it
and hope that it would go away.

That order would be a no-op.