[ExI] Space Project (power satellites)

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 20:49:24 UTC 2020

On Aug 7, 2020, at 1:35 PM, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

>>> Data source, please?  That a single satellite going LEO->GEO will on average be hit 40 times seems way higher than is supported by the data I am aware of - which is that most satellites going from LEO to GEO get hit zero times.
>>
>> Bigger target though. SSPSs are really big compared to even the biggest satellites, no?
>
> Not nearly big enough to get hit an average of even once per trip, let alone 40, if Keith means the designs I think he means.
>
> Especially if the trips are plotted to avoid tracked debris; I was literally just yesterday looking at the US government's latest service to check such trajectories and confirm they'll be free of known debris, and they have access to good enough radar to track almost anything large enough to matter.  (Acknowledging that "large enough" is very small, given orbital velocities.  They still track it.)

There’s also flight time, but you’re likely right. Size and duration could up the number above the average LEO to GEO flight, but planning and avoidance could lower that. And given that the investment would be much much larger, I imagine even more effort would be put into reducing the likelihood.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst