[ExI] Cost of reopening schools

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Aug 10 18:41:57 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
BillK via extropy-chat
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 11:13 AM
To: Extropy Chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: BillK <pharos at gmail.com>
Subject: [ExI] Cost of reopening schools

>...To reopen this fall, the average school district will spend more than
$1.77 million to cover costs, such as cleaning, staff to help implement
health and safety protocols, and personal protective equipment.

<https://www.fastcompany.com/90538028/the-cost-of-schools-reopening-1-77-mil
lion-for-the-average-district?>

-----------------------

The article includes a list of what they are spending money on, so might be
helpful for reopening.

BillK

Thanks BillK!

We are rassling with the same questions here, such as: If the schools do not
reopen, will the California taxpayers enjoy a rebate of half their funds?

BillK, your countryman Mr. Jeeves offers a hint on that:

http://www.frockflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/StephenFry-Jeeves1.gif

No, sir.

Our powerful teachers union wishes to be paid, regardless of whether or not
they are actually instructing live students.

There is a chance the teachers will go on strike however, for the union
chief is demanding the school districts contribute to the global warming
fund.  The superintendent is writhing and groveling: Oh please oh please,
teaching staff do not go on strike, anything but that ok maybe just for a
month or three we will say nice things about you to your successors.

So... there is that tantalizing possibility of steep a reduction in
expenses, however I don't see it happening.

Even in the event of a teacher walkout, Mr. Jeeves thinks a tax rebate as
most unlikely.

If you will pardon me, I am off to the local high school to help distribute
textbooks.