[ExI] The Moon's Cold Embrace

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 00:07:28 UTC 2020

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 3:35 PM Keith Henson via extropy-chat <

> Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nanotech isn't needed, actually.  There has been a lot of work on
> macro-scale sets of tools that can self-replicate.
>
> Do you have some URLs for this?  It's a topic I have followed for ages
> and can't think of any work in this direction except for RepRap (or
> however it is spelled)

Yeah, "RepRap".  The work's been distributed among a number of
investigations, little of it even as formalized as RepRap.  It might be a
useful project for someone to come up with a full design for a
self-replicable set of industrial tools.

As I recall, RepRap was able to self-replicate except for the electronics -
and from what I saw, RepRap could have been redesigned with larger,
printable electronics to overcome this too; the people involved apparently
just didn't think of it.

I don't think anyone has generated a list of what is needed for a
> lunar industrial site.  If you know of one, please let me know.

 https://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/isal_a_026 seems to be a
start on this.  I found it with a quick Web search on "self replicating
tools".