[ExI] Exi JKC Political Posting Final Warning

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Aug 22 19:47:08 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark via extropy-chat
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 11:58 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Exi JKC Political Posting Final Warning

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 2:47 PM SR Ballard via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> It is entirely possible to have an off list political discussion group, no?

Ghetto groups don't work, especially for a low volume list like this one. I'm not interested in every topic this list discusses, but they don't make me angry, I just ignore posts that don't interest me. I don't understand why that's so hard.

 John K Clark

I disagree with the notion that ghetto groups do not work.  We had some terrific unleashed discussions, and the archives are not public (this last part is important.)  Unfortunately a lot of it was never preserved either.  What I wouldn’t give for our privacy/encryption discussion from about 2002 when Hal was with us.  And when Lee Corbin was with us, I would pay good money if anyone thought to archive that rich ore.

I can see a lotta value in a politics subgroup.  ExiMod wouldn’t hafta tell us to take it outside.  ExiMod could tell us to take it to John’s Bar next door, where fighting is allowed.

If John doesn’t want to moderate (or join) a politics sub-group, I nominate Keith Henson.  He is highly respected.