[ExI] the law

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Wed Aug 26 22:32:16 UTC 2020

On 2020-8-26 14:57, spike jones via extropy-chat wrote:
> The law doesn’t do that fortunately.  The reference you made is to Nazi
> Germany, and a perfect example of why we don’t heil anyone.  They were
> doing that, and handing one guy way too much power, which was promptly
> abused in a most horrifying way.  Stalin did that (swearing allegiance
> to him personally) Mao did that (having school children sing songs about
> what a great guy he was.)

On another hand:

	In a celebrity culture, it’s useful to be able to put a face to
	what would otherwise be a shadowy menace. The Chinese get away
	with a ton of stuff just because they eschew the Colonel Gaddafi
	pillbox hat and the Saddamite turtleneck and Village People
	moustache and run their tyranny with a bunch of boring
	interchangeable guys in specs and cheap lounge suits.

Mark Steyn said it.  My link to where I found it is broken.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org