[ExI] ‘The game has changed.’ AI triumphs at solving protein structures

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 02:39:55 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 3:40 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> Suppose the increasing ability of AI is like a classic curve:  at first
> positively accelerated, then negative, slowing down gradually.  Just where
> on the curve is it now?  Sure, it's a wild guess.  If that curve is true,
> then we can expect more breakthroughs in the next 20 years than we have had
> in the last 20.

I think it'll be accelerating for years.

The Nobel Prize comes with a nice piece of change.  Just what other cash
> incentives do programmers have?  Maybe we need big important prizes to
> recognize just how important this work is. There are certainly enough
> billionaires around to do that.

I dunno, Bill Gates seemed to do OK as a programmer. :-) Granted, he's the
exception; few earn billions from it. Programming for hire is a
decent-paying job, but the big returns come from taking big risks to
introduce new products.

I can't say that I really understand the process.  Is it the programmers
> who get the credit, or the people who told the programmers what to
> program?  Or did the AI partly program itself? Anyone know?

DeepMind and AlphaFold, are Google properties, so Google (Alphabet) will be
reaping the financial rewards of the commercialization of AlphaFold and
DeepMind's other AI products. Something like the Nobel Prize would likely
be awarded to whomever led the AlphaFold team.

-Dave