[ExI] wheres the beef

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Thu Dec 3 06:55:03 UTC 2020

Quoting BillK:

> On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 at 16:00, spike jones via extropy-chat
>>
>> This graphic from XKCD tells the story better than words:
>> https://xkcd.com/1338/
>>
>> spike
>

> And insects outweigh humans by 17 times!
> That's why they want us to start eating insects.   :(

That is a completely unfair comparison. You are comparing the entire
class of insects composed of 900k+ species to but a single species of
mammal: Homo sapiens. But yes, that is why insects are on the menu.
However to be fair eating insects is preferable to getting eaten by
them. And some of them don't even wait until you are dead.

> <https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/5/29/17386112/all-life-on-earth-chart-weight-plants-animals-pnas>
> Quote:
> All life on Earth, in one staggering chart
> Scientists estimated the mass of all life. It?s mind boggling.
> By Brian Resnick and Javier Zarracina Updated Aug 15, 2018
>
> By weight, human beings are insignificant.

We outweigh all terrestrial vertebrates, that is mammals, birds,
reptiles, and amphibians, combined with the exception of our own
livestock. Of the vertebrates, only the fish outweigh us. And again,
we are but a single species. That is pretty significant at least in a
statistical sense. We seem to be DNA's killer app so to speak.

Stuart LaForge