[ExI] link

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sat Dec 5 19:25:50 UTC 2020

Quoting Bill W:

> Take vitamin E.  Don't bother.  Take glucosamine.  Don't bother.  Who
> knows?  It might matter, so I will.   bill w
>
> https://www.studyfinds.org/glucosamine-reduce-death-risk-as-much-as-exercise/

The glucosamine effect seems legit since they are getting reproducible
results from studies on both sides of the Atlantic. If glucosamine can
increase LDL particle size in the bloodstream like the authors
suggest, then that is pretty nifty because there is correlation
between LDL particle size and longevity. Here is the actual
peer-reviewed article, if you want to weigh the numbers yourself:

https://www.jabfm.org/content/jabfp/33/6/842.full.pdf

Abstract
Background: Limited previous studies in the United Kingdom or a single
US state have demonstrated
an association between intake of glucosamine/chondroitin and
mortality. This study sought to investigate the association between
regular consumption of glucosamine/chondroitin and overall and
cardiovascular (CVD) mortality in a national sample of US adults.
Methods: Combined data from 16,686 participants in National Health and
Nutrition Examination
Survey 1999 to 2010, merged with the 2015 Public-use Linked Mortality
File. Cox proportional hazards
models were conducted for both CVD and all-cause mortality.
Results: In the study sample, there were 658 (3.94%) participants who
had been taking glucosamine/
chondroitin for a year or longer. During followup (median, 107
months), there were 3366 total deaths
(20.17%); 674 (20.02%) were due to CVD. Respondents taking
glucosamine/chondroitin were less likely to
have CVD mortality (hazard ratio [HR] = 0.51; 95% CI, 0.28-0.92).
After controlling for age, use was associated with a 39% reduction in
all-cause (HR = 0.61; 95% CI, 0.49–0.77) and 65% reduction (HR = 0.35;
95%
CI, 0.20–0.61) in CVD mortality. Multivariable-adjusted HR showed that
the association was maintained after adjustment for age, sex, race,
education, smoking status, and physical activity (all-cause mortality,
HR = 0.73; 95% CI, 0.57–0.93; CVD mortality, HR = 0.42; 95% CI, 0.23–0.75).
Conclusions: Regular intake of glucosamine/chondroitin is associated
with lower all-cause and
CVD mortality in a national US cohort and the findings are consistent
with previous studies in other
populations. Prospective studies to confirm the link may be warranted.
( J Am Board Fam Med
2020;33:842–847.)