[ExI] damn doctors!

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Dec 15 01:00:15 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 4:27 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: [ExI] damn doctors!

>…Got the results of all of my heart tests today:  never had a heart attack!

>…Can you believe that?  Of course you can.  Incompetent first cardiologist - of course he had a lot less data, but he scared the HELL out of me…

Ja, sure BillW, but look at it another way.  Why would you want hell to stay in you?  If you set up a graph with good on the vertical axis and time on the horizontal, integrate from zero to infinity good dt, the result is positive.

Translation for non-calculus hipsters: this whole misadventure is really a good thing, if you get your attitude right.  Your doctor scared the hell outta yas.  But… it caused you to look within, and decide what is important and what isn’t.  If you had never gotten the bad news, you wouldn’t have the good: you didn’t have a heart attack.  Cool!

In the meantime, you decide what is important, what isn’t, put your priorities in order, you’re gonna live, with your life-closet cleaned out and tidy, all is good.

It is a lesson to the rest of us: we didn’t have a heart attack either.  Cool!

Besides that: you already know what you will need to do if you ever do have a heart attack: you are pre-disastered.  You already know what meds you will need to take and what they will do.

Also: it lowers the risk of getting an incompetent doctor in the future: what are the chances of the same guy getting TWO quacks?  Very small.  So your first one kinda helped you, depending on how you look at it.  Optimism, me lad!

Another thing: good chance you have religious friends somewhere.  They were probably praying for you.  Now of course, that is negated by the fact that for unbelievers, they were talking to the ceiling, but hey, that’s the known disadvantage of being a flaming atheist.  But your believer friends are still nice: such kindhearted souls they are.

>…So what do I have?  Weak heart. I need a low heart rate, low blood pressure.  Was dramatically lowered on the Synthroid (which raises your metabolism and strains the heart.)  When that really kicks in I will feel better and have an appetite, I am told.  I have forgotten what one feels like…

Ja, your bride will be pleased with that.  You might even want to eat more as well.

>…When you go in expecting to be told the odds of living more years and get a complete diagnostic reversal, it's more like relief than elation.

bill w

Well ja, of course.  That hasta really be crummy to have a doctor tell ya to repent of your sins.  I don’t want to do that.  I really like my sins.  Hell I don’t even have many of them.  So I protect them and watch over my few remaining ones.  So now to have a better doctor say OK BillW, never mind, go back to your sinnin’ ways, that hasta feel good.

Best wishes to you, lad.  This is the best news I have heard all week, and I wasn’t even the one staring into the abyss.  May you learn much and post for many years to come.