[ExI] damn doctors!

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 18:06:20 UTC 2020

Also: it lowers the risk of getting an incompetent doctor in the future:
what are the chances of the same guy getting TWO quacks?  Very small.  So
your first one kinda helped you, depending on how you look at it.   spike

Thanks for a thoughtful and friendly reply.  I can count friends on one
hand and you are one of them.

Where shall I start with a list of incompetent doctors?  Two orthopedic men
who missed the diagnosis of tight IT band? (my chiro nailed that one).  I
could go on.  I don't blame the first cardio.  He did what his data said
do:  give me pills that made it much harder to have an attack.  I asked the
current one why my hematocrit and hemoglobin were low and he said that was
outside his field!!  Eat some meat, I say.

I never had a bucket list.  If I were rich I'd be flying all over the
world:  to hear the bells in Kyoto for a start; British Museum (been to the
Louvre), many more.  My main interests are all fulfilled:  enough money for
books, cds, seeds and garden equipment, speciality foods.

I have a top Yamaha Clavinova that sounds better than the STeinway copy I
sold, and am teaching piano for the first time.

Not too many of my options outside of physical work are limited. Even that
might improve depending on if I can get my blood pressure medicine reduced.

Being retired for over 20 years has some consequences:  one is that I am
not up in some things I had to be up on while teaching, which is why I
cannot explain this one further:

People tend to fall into two categories:  inner-directed and
outer-directed.  (the obvious qualifier here:  some people will be
inner-directed about some things and outer-directed about other things
depending on their experience). The first are self-sufficient and need
little direction.  If they think they need direction, they get it.  They
ask intelligent questions and so on.  The outer-directed are, relatively
speaking, helpless.  They look to others to tell them what to do:  parents,
teachers, doctors and so on.  What I can't tell you is if these latter
people can be changed.  They would suffer greatly in a system where they
had to learn things by themselves and only an internet to learn from.  The
inner-directed would get feedback on his efforts, never assuming that they
are always correct.  The outer people might just do whatever comes to their
heads and let it go at that, though the reverse might be true:  they ask
for help constantly and never assume that anything they do is OK.

The future of medicine and of teaching is crafting one's efforts toward the
uniqueness of that person.  My cardio guy is puzzled that I am so strongly
reacting to a drug whose dosage is just a beginner amount that is raised
and raised in time.  Answer? I am a hypersensitive person who reacts more
strongly to any kind of thing than over 90% of humanity.  Conversely,
anything that tries to lower my sensitivity is fought hard:  Taking downers
is an experiment in frustration:  I can drink vast quantities of alcohol
and drive home safely.  Opiates have a hard time easing my pain,  And so
on.  But medicine is now not able to take these things into consideration.
(well, yeah, of course it can -it can take my word for it - now let's have
a great big laugh!)

Ditto teaching:  it's not that people have different learning styles;that
has been rather disproven.  But the atmosphere in which they learn can have
a strong effect on their ability to  learn, their eagerness to learn,
whether they will do the homework, and so on.  Mostly we don't know what
these variables are, and we will need to if they continue distance
learning.  Ya?    bill w

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:18 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <