[ExI] hiccups

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Dec 24 15:10:38 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] hiccups

I don't have much of a taste for hot peppers, but once I thought I would try a habanero.  I cooked it and cut it into bits and put it on a pizza.  One bite:  I had hiccups for 24 hours.  Bill

Hey cool, we can have a contest.  Find something that gives you hiccups (such as habaneros) and something that stops it (such as bitters) and then mix them, see which one wins.

Alternative: see who can start and stop the hiccups the most times in an hour.  Eat the pepper, must hiccup at least three times to qualify, stop them, for at least one minute is one cycle, see who can do the most cycles or the fastest cycles.  Humanity benefits: we get to learn the best ways to stop and start hiccups.  Granted it is not at all clear the reason why one would intentionally start that annoying phenomenon, but knowing how to stop it would be good.

Kinda interesting aside: humans cohabitate with exactly two species of beast enough to knew a lotta lotta about those two.  So we know of one non-human species which can get hiccups and one which does not: dog do, cats don’t.  Whyzat?