[ExI] Saturnalia (was: Re: I caught the covid)

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon Dec 28 17:18:16 UTC 2020

On 27/12/2020 23:05, John Grigg wrote:
> I have a Jewish friend back home who got very hot under the collar
> when I greeted him once with "Merry Christmas!" This surprised me
> because other Jews I had known over the years had no problem with the
> holiday. But then this guy is a classic old school NYC Jew who was
> also my chiropractor.

Ok, I don't understand this attitude.

What did he expect? That you should convert to orthodox judaism? If
someone wishes me a 'happy hannukah', I'm not going to go ballistic on
them and say they should be wishing me 'merry xmas' instead. Why can't
we all accept that there are different festivals, different traditions,
and some of us celebrate some of them and others celebrate others, and
just be happy about it? It's all good, and interesting to learn about
different cultures. Nobody needs to impose anything on anyone else.

Felicitous Saturnalia! or whatever floats your boat.

Ben