[ExI] very informative

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Tue Dec 29 08:19:22 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-28 18:35, spike jones via extropy-chat wrote:
 > A country is nationalist if it keeps and enforces its borders.  Its
 > citizens pay taxes and have privileges that visitors do not have.

California has well-defined borders, taxation, and benefits denied to
non-residents (voting, cheap university).  So is California nationalist?

Spike:
 >>> I favor immigration, assuming legal immigration.  To have legal
 >>> immigration, there must be some means of defining legal immigration.

Anton:
 >> Do you trust politicians to make a good definition?
 >> We got along for a century without one.

Spike:
 > I don't trust politicians for anything.
 > I see too few of them who I consider trustworthy.

So then, how to define legal immigration?

 > The days when we could get by without immigration enforcement of some
 > kind came to an end with income tax.  As soon as that came about,
 > entitlements resulted.  With that, there must be some means of
 > insuring that entitlements are not collected by those not entitled
 > to them.

Well heck, why not say it ended with the right to vote?

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org