[ExI] “Stathis’ ‘behavior’ which, if it remains the same, the subjectivity remains the same.”

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 19:08:12 UTC 2020

Hi Stathis,

Aren't we just talking past each other?  We are both trying to stress: “As
long as the ‘behavior’ remains the same the subjectivity must also remain
the same.”  Are you not also saying, exactly, the subjectively is dependent
on the ‘behavior’ you are referring to as staying the same here?  There are
two parts to your ‘behavior.’ First there is the fact of the matter, that
redness (even if it is not physical as you assert with:  “It supervenes on
the physical”) is always redness. Would it be better if, instead of saying
just “physical qualities like redness and grenness,” I say: “physical (or
spiritual if you must) qualities like redness and greenness.”?  By
“spiritual”, I mean anything that is not physical. For example, if redness
behavior is only related to physical behavior in a “supervening” way, then
it is included in anything that is not physical, all of which is
“spiritual”.

The second part is our communication behavior, saying “That is redness”.
While it is possible for someone to say: “that is redness”, when they meen
greenness, that is using a dictionary of different facts.  If you are
always talking about the facts of the matter, “As long as the ‘behavior’
remains the same the subjectivity must also remain the same.”  Every time I
try to pin your ‘behavior’ down to anything, including magic, you accuse me
of talking about something different than this factual redness that is your
‘behavior’ which must remain the same as the subjectivity.  Whatever your
‘behavior’ is which remains the same, along with the subjectivity, is not
this subjectivity dependent on this behavior which you assume is remaining
the same?

So, from now on, how about I refer to what we are both trying to talk about
as: “Stathis’ ‘behavior’ which, if it remains the same, the subjectivity
remains the same.”?