[ExI] Four pieces of evidence from before the Big Bang

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 16:27:34 UTC 2020

On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 at 15:07, Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat

> On 29/02/2020 04:25, BillK wrote:
>
>> These 4 Pieces Of Evidence Have Already Taken Us Beyond The Big Bang
>> Ethan Siegel    Feb 28 2020
>> <https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/these-4-pieces-of-evidence-have-already-taken-us-beyond-the-big-bang-5d0005bad7ed>
>>

> Wait a minute, isn't this just re-defining the big bang as something that happened after inflation?
> My understanding is that the big bang came first, then inflation. So the big bang is still just as much a mystery as ever.
>
> Or is my understanding wrong?
> And if so, what do you call the event that preceded inflation (labeled 'primordial fluctuations' in one of the diagrams on that site. Not a very catchy name!)?
> --
> Ben Zaiboc

The meaning of the Big Bang Theory has developed and changed over the years.
Quote:
“Despite its name, the big bang theory is not really a theory of a
bang at all. It is really only a theory of the aftermath of a bang.”
-Alan Guth

Originally the big bang theory was that because we are in an
expanding, cooling universe we could extrapolate backwards to a point
of infinite density, a singularity, that the universe exploded from.
But evidence has shown that idea to be wrong.

The inflation had to come first, creating a hot universe of matter and
radiation (quark-gluon plasma). This in turn created what we see today.
Detailed description here:
<https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/the-big-bang-wasnt-the-beginning-after-all-81844b973333>

BillK