[ExI] i am software: wasRE: utah: RE: Frank Jackson's brilliant color scientist Mary

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 06:39:29 UTC 2020

> are you really implying that I think that rainbow picture can’t be
represented by an array of values including RGB(FF0000), as it appears
here?

You appear to be defending the position that there is some ineffable,
not-representable-by-other-means qualia in the image.  Without agreeing or
disagreeing with that position, I am pointing out that the specific example
given is a remarkably weak defense of that position.

> Are you saying that RGB(FF,00,00). or any other such abstract software is
physically red?

No.  I say it is a representation of red, similar in nature to
representations of red in the human brain.

"Physically red", to me, consists of reflecting and/or emitting - within
the visible spectrum - primarily red photons, which are photons close to
680 nanometers in wavelength.  A mathematical construct (such as
"RGB(FF,00,00)", which is in turn most often represented as the number
16,711,680) is not a physical object, and thus is not "physically"
anything.  It can, however, serve as part of an instruction for a physical
thing - say, a pixel on a monitor - to become physically red.  Physical
redness can be measured, just like any other physical color properties, but
the number that results from the measurement is just another
representation.  "The map is not the territory", as it's said.

This debate in general seems to be suffering from a remarkable level of
redefinitions on the fly and goalpost-moving.  I am not saying you
exclusively are doing that, I'm saying that's the discussion in general.
This has been my main reason for staying out of the debate until now.

Most egregiously, what exactly is "qualia", other than "magic that defines
the experience of redness/et cetera"?  Some people seem to be insisting
that qualia can not be defined in any measurable terms.  Over and over, I
have seen strawman examples set up - the original supposition about a
"color scientist who had all the physical information, and then one day
actually saw red" being an example.  One reason there is dissonance is
that, intuitively we know there can not be such a thing as someone with
"all the physical information", thus the premise is rejected and what is
actually evaluated is someone who has a lot of data but nowhere near
"all".  Another reason is that it confuses "information" in the
intellectual sense with memories of experiences: of course someone who
doesn't have a specific memory won't have that memory, but that says
nothing about that person's ability to learn information.

Perhaps this debate could be settled more quickly if people simply did not
use words that have been muddled so much within the conversation itself.
Specifically, state the concepts without using the word "qualia" (or making
up any other words).

For instance, going back to Mary the color scientist.  Let's say she is
color-blind due to a defect located entirely in her eyes, but knows how to
do brain surgery, specifically on the sensorimotor cortex.  Might she be
able to implant something, or rewire someone's brain, so they see red?  If
so, would it be correct to say that she has triggered that person's
perception of red?

Let's say she then programs a robot or instructs other people to do the
same surgery to her.  They do (let us assume correctly and perfectly, which
is certainly possible), and she gets a perception that she has never had
before - but she has a word for it: "red".

Everything that can be measured says Mary and this other person had the
same experience.  They both use the word "red" for it, but of course words
can mean different things to different people.  There are probably
different emotional connotations and reactions, but these trigger off the
representation in the brain, not actually off the physical redness itself.
(In almost all real cases, physical redness is the only viable means to
create this representation - but that doesn't make physical redness and the
representation literally the same thing.)