[ExI] Happy 2020, and welcome to the magic twenties

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 02:53:47 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:56 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> On Jan 5, 2020, at 10:15 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat
> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 11:03 AM Bill Hibbard via extropy-chat <
>

>> Compassion is the root of the progressive desire to
>> make society more equitable and just.
>

> ### I have yet to see a modern "progressive" who desires justice and
> progress, or one that sees compassion as anything but a rhetorical ploy.
>
> Their idea of progress nowadays is banning plastic straws, showers, and
> vaccinations. And a lot more.
>

> Anti-vaxxers are well represented on the Right, don’t you think? In fact,
> while anti-vaxxers can be found across the political spectrum (I imagine
> whether one views it as one dimensional or two or more dimensional), those
> who identify as conservative have a tendency towards being anti-vaxxers.
> See:
>
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5784985/
>
> To date, most of the anti-vaxxers I’ve met have self-identified as on the
> Right and are often religious conservatives. I’m relying on memory and this
> is anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt. But that my experience also
> matches the above study probably means I’m not living inside some weird
> bubble with regard to this. (For the record, too, all the politically
> active Democrats who seem progressive that I know personally are pro-vax.)
>

> OK, my fault. I shouldn't have use the word 'progressive'. Like
> 'libertarian', that word can be used to describe a number of completely
> different viewpoints. My idea of what constitutes progress will be totally
> different to the idea of a religious fundamentalist, for example.
>
> -

### Yes, exactly. For me this word is tainted by association with leftist
supremacism, even though if we concentrated on the etymology I could be
classified as a raging progressive, what with my penchant for genetic
engineering, uploading, anarcho-capitalism and the like.

Rafal