[ExI] Small clumps of Dark Matter (Apparently)

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Jan 9 17:03:51 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of SR Ballard via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] Small clumps of Dark Matter (Apparently)

Cosmic Magnifying Glasses Find Dark Matter in Small Clumps

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2020-005 <https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2020-005&rn=news.xml&rst=7572> &rn=news.xml&rst=7572

>…Using NASA's  <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/main/index.html> Hubble Space Telescope and a new observing technique, astronomers have found that dark matter forms much smaller clumps than previously known. This result confirms one of the fundamental predictions of the widely accepted "cold dark matter" theory.

>…The Hubble observation yields new insights into the nature of dark matter and how it behaves. "We made a very compelling observational test for the cold dark matter model and it passes with flying colors," said Tommaso Treu of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), a member of the observing team…

Thanks SR.  A bunch of us have long thought these dark matter clumps had to be there somewhere.  It’s one of the things that makes me such a strong believer in space-based astronomy: these kinds of observations don’t rely so much on total light-gathering capability but really need to be above the distortion to get good measurements.

The cold dark matter theory has long been a notion that makes sense to me.  I know it is a bad idea to be a cheerleader for a theory, but if it is true, it explains a lotta lotta.

Hubble is a champion, but it will not live forever.  May we get the Webb up there soon.  Let’s see a bunch of reprehensible lawless protestors stop THAT!  The Webb will be great for finding CDM clumps.