[ExI] state of conflict technology

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 20:30:15 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 2:22 PM Henry Rivera via extropy-chat <

> The simplest globally accepted medical definition of addiction is the
> inability to control use resulting in significant impairment or distress.

Just sent off another post on addiction before I saw this from Henry.  If
we accept the definition above,then at one point I was addicted to both
cigarettes and alcohol, but after I quit both, I wasn't, since I had showed
the ability to control usage.  That really seems odd, doesn't  it?  But
it's mental health, and definitions are fought over ever year at
conventions, so I suppose that finding out how to treat people who ask for
help is more important than putting a label on them.  People who don't ask
are impossible, eh Henry?

One more thing:  I was not significantly impaired in any way as a result of
smoking and drinking, so where does that fit in?  I kept wanting to quit -
that was the only real symptom I had.  I taught my classes as well as I
could and never let any drug interfere with that - I loved it too much to
go in drunk.

bill w

bill w

bill w