[ExI] single neurons think?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 02:35:39 UTC 2020

Yes, this is another article reporting on the same work I posted here on
the morning of Jan 6. “Scientists Uncover a Never-Before-Seen Type of
Signal Occurring in The Human Brain
<https://www-sciencealert-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.sciencealert.com/a-newly-discovered-signal-in-neurons-hints-at-the-power-of-the-human-brain/amp?usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D&amp_js_v=0.1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencealert.com%2Fa-newly-discovered-signal-in-neurons-hints-at-the-power-of-the-human-brain>
”

As I was saying on the 6th, “It looks to me like this new discovery could
be exactly describing neural logic with multiple inputs that could react
differently, based on the diverse physical qualities of the many inputs, in
the outer most layer of the cortex.”

I wouldn’t say that it “thinks”, but it certainly could be an important
part of computational binding of multiple different physical pixel
representations, and stuff.

Saying a single neuron can “think” would be like a panpsychist saying that
physical elements are “proto-conscious”.  My question to such would be,
does a “proto consciousness” have the same visual resolution and color
depth as a full consciousness?

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 4:47 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <