[ExI] The Expanse is science fiction like television has never seen

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun Jan 12 18:05:15 UTC 2020

Quoting extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org:

> "What I love about this show is that it's ?realistic? science fiction.
> There's no faster-than-light travel, no crazy artificial gravity or dopey
> aliens. It's just people like us, in an actually possible world. Honestly,
> it's great. So I was excited to get a chance to talk to the
> showrunner of *The
> Expanse*, Naren Shankar?who, I have to mention, has a PhD in applied
> physics."
>
> Any big Expanse fans on the list?  :  )

Does binge watching 3 seasons of the show in a week and then waiting
expectantly for season 4 count? I am a pretty big fan of the show
actually. The realism and attention to detail on the show is amazing
and somewhat humbling. (Like when the protagonists almost die while
strapped to their chairs because one of them failed to lock up their
tools before the pilot started performing evasive maneuvers in zero G.)

And while the show still paints a dystopian view of the future, it is
a tolerable and sustainable dystopia, thanks to the fusion power which
drives their rockets and gives people with sufficient resources the
ability to choose between three distinct governments and cultures to
live under: the United Nations, the Constitutional Republic of Mars,
or the Outer Planets Alliance.

The show is like if the love child of Arthur C. Clarke and Tom Clancy
wrote space opera.

Stuart LaForge