[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 18:29:02 UTC 2020

Ben, this is all classic qualia blindness

Sure, everything you say is true, within a naive model of reality,
perception and epistemology of color.  Within your overly simplistic model,
the closest thing you can give to a physical definition of “red”  is to a
particular wavelength of light.  But that can't account for the inverted
color perception facts portrayed in this video
<https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness/>.

All the 40 and growing number of experts that are supporting  (have signed)
“Representational Qualia Theory
<https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness/>” are pointing out is that
everything in physics, today, including all peer reviewed journals on
perception of color are, like you are here, ‘qualia blind’.  Everyone
thinks there is a ‘hard mind body problem’ but there isn’t a hard mind body
problem.  The only problem is, people are thinking in a qualia blind way as
you are doing here.

You must distinguish between reality and knowledge of reality.  You must
have two labels for physical red.  Red as a label for anything that
reflects or emits red light, and redness as the physical quality of your
knowledge of ‘red’ things.  Physics must have both color and colorness
properties.  For example, the color of glutamate is white, because it
reflects white like.  It’s colorness property is redness (hypothetically).
Glutamate and our description of how it behaves in a synapse being a
description of what we directly experience as redness.

You must be able to say effing of the ineffable, bridging the explanatory
gap things like: My redness is like your greenness, both of which we call
red.

Otherwise you can’t tell anyone the qualitative color of anything, and
everyone that thinks this way must think there is a ‘hard mind body
problem.” Or an explanatory gap, that can’t be solved.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 2:43 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <