[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 00:22:04 UTC 2020

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 at 10:58, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> So if enough AI's said the same thing, particularly if they were vastly
> smarter than me, I take their word they were experiencing a vision of a
> strawberry too.  john
>
> Giving you an answer that is intelligent is far from having an experience
> like a human.  I think the default should be that only flesh and blood
> creatures can have experiences and consciousness.  I don't see rows of 1s
> and 0s as having anything other than an electrical charge in their memories.
>
> Why do we keep pretending that we know something about consciousness?
> It's the 12 blind men, but the elephant is imaginary.

As I explained in my previous post, we are able to say that whatever
consciousness is, it would be reproduced if the function (the observable
behaviour) of anything that has it is reproduced. This is even without an
explicit definition of consciousness or knowledge of whether other minds
are conscious.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou