[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 21:29:57 UTC 2020

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 at 02:59, Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> [...]
> and the same time you are aware of your partners physical knowledge.  You
> will know, absolutely, that your partners is red / green inverted from
> yourself.
>

>> However, we can be sure that if you had them before the neural
>> replacement, you have them afterwards as well.The alternative is that you
>> become blind but don’t notice, and still say “I see a strawberry”. This is
>> absurd: what meaning could the word “blind” have if you cannot notice that
>> you are blind and behave as if you have normal vision?
>>
> Again, this is qualia blind.  Consciousness is computationally bound
> elemental physical qualities like redness and grenness.  In order to not be
> qualia blind, you need to include the physical redness functionality (must
> be objectively different than grenness functionality), and a
> computationally binding mechanism that enables you to be aware of both of
> them at the same time.  The neural substitution mind experiment you propose
> can lead people astray in many ways.  For example, if you have a single
> binding neuron, that is performing the binding functionally, so you can be
> aware of thousands of pixels neurons, each potentially firing with either
> glutamate and glycine (or whatever it is that has the redness and grenness
> physical qualities)  When you do the neural substitution of the binging
> neuron in that case, it is just a slight of hand when you are switching
> between glutamate(redness)/glycine(grenness) the 1s(red)/0s(green).   With
> that one neuron switching, you are removing any computationally bound
> information that was actual computationally bound awareness of redness, and
> replacing all of it with 1.
>
> Also, a required functionality is the ability to computationally bind, via
> a neural ponytail the two systems both before and after the neural
> substitution.  With this required functionality, you must be able to know,
> directly, whether the neural substituted system now has redness swapped
> with grenness, or 1s.  If you do not provide the ability to do that in your
> thought experiment, your thought experiment is qualia blind.  If you
> thought experiment is not qualia blind, everything makes sense, there are
> no conundrums or absurd things like fading/dancing qualia.  If your thought
> experiment is not qualia blind, and if you know the phenomenal physical
> quality of stuff (or functionality, if you must) everything is knowable
> both objectively and subjectively.  In qualia blind views like this, there
> are impossibly hard mind body problems.  If your thought experiment is not
> qualia blind, the only problem is an easy color problem.
>

> The conclusion is that an artificial device that correctly replicated
>> neural behaviour will also replicate any associated consciousness.
>>

> This conclusion can only true in a qualia blind thought experiment that
> does not include a necessary redness functionality that necessarily can be

Here is the problem which you seem to be missing. If your visual cortex is
replaced, you are qualia blind with respect to visual qualia. However, you
behave normally, because the output to the muscles is the same. Also, the
rest of your brain works normally because it was not modified, and even
blind people are able to think and talk. Why don’t you say “I am qualia
blind”? What is the point of having qualia if even you yourself don’t
notice if the qualia disappear?

> --
Stathis Papaioannou