[ExI] height of frustration

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 15:01:10 UTC 2020

I think overconfidence is part of it.  I graded essay tests by the many
thousands.  I don't know how many times I wrote on a paper that they were
repeating their mistakes, but it was depressing.

Human behavior is simply hard to change.  In the metaphor, our unconscious
is the elephant and we are the rider and have limited control over where
the elephant goes.  All behavior comes from the unconscious, so we have to
figure out a way of controlling it better.

It ought to be self-fixing: shown the right way to do something, the vastly
increased success ought to be enough to get rid of the wrong behaviors.
Sometimes that works.  Sometime I had to write:  You are repeating your
mistakes AGAIN.

If you have anything to share regarding changing your own behavior,
succeeding or failing, I would like to read it.

bill w

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 7:33 PM Will Steinberg via extropy-chat <