[ExI] A odd Gravitational Wave

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 21:53:16 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 4:41 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <

> * > I don't see how an isotropic gravitational collapse could cause
> gravitational waves. I thought the generation of gravitational waves
> required a dipole or quadripole or some kind of asymmetry.*

True, the collapse would have to be very asymmetrical , and I admit that
seems a bit unlikely.

> * > But if it wasn't a failed supernova, then I have no idea what could
> have caused such a short powerful burst of gravitational waves. Very
> mysterious indeed.*

I was thinking maybe 2 sub solar mass Black Holes coalescing. That would be
really cool if true. Black Holes that small would pretty much have to be
primordial, I can't think of anything except the Big Bang itself that would
have conditions extreme enough to produce them.

 John K Clark