[ExI] Frame dragging across the universe...

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Jan 31 07:03:17 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dylan Distasio via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] Frame dragging across the universe...

Astronomers Have Caught a Star Literally Dragging Space-Time Around With It

>….

In everyday life, frame-dragging is both undetectable and inconsequential, as the effect is so ridiculously tiny. Detecting the frame-dragging caused by the entire Earth's spin requires satellites such as the US$750 million Gravity Probe B, and the detection of angular changes in gyroscopes equivalent to just one degree every 100,000 years or so.

…

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-caught-a-star-in-the-act-of-warping-the-fabric-of-space-and-time

I was one of the very lucky ones: I was given a chance to work on Gravity Probe B back in about 1989 and 1990.  That was the coolest project in history, but I sheepishly confess my own skepticism: I never thought it would work.  I estimated the chances all that stuff would work at about 20%.  Well, it worked.

I was on that project during the earthquake on 17 October 1989.  I was relieved to learn that the gyros were not damaged.