[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 202, Issue 16

robot at ultimax.com robot at ultimax.com
Mon Jul 6 04:15:14 UTC 2020

Yep, an individual stick is a "pale", ~2000 km of them was "The Pale of
Settlement".

Everything else you said, too, except for the funny/grim part:
the sense of "Pale" as Tsarist Russians used it was directed *inward*.
That is to say, the Pale was a north-south line in Russia *inside of
which* (i.e., east) Jews were not allowed to settle, but for certain
exceptions.  So the locus of "beyond the Pale" was closer to the Russian
speaker of this phrase than the Pale itself.  Ironic, that.

I did not know about the Irish and French Pales!  But the cognate "pal"
is Romance not Slavic, so I should have figured that out for myself.
Thanks!

Quite a few Russkiis back in Catherine's day spoke French.  Until
Pushkin came along, some Russian aristocrats never bothered to learn
Russian, the language of the serfs.  Perhaps the French usage is where
they got the word.  Anyone have a copy of the OED handy?

K3

.